In the Steps of Citizen Kane & the Marciac Cloister

 

French Heritage Society, Paris Chapter

TUESDAY, MARCH 7, 2017,

6:30 PM - 8:30 PM

 

Marciac, a small village in the Gers, world famous for its jazz festival, is an especially remarkable example of the heritage of the region. In the past, the stones of this beautiful bastide were the object of much covetousness. Thus the cloister of the Augustinians of Marciac was sold in 1906 to an antique dealer. The cloister was first thought to be in Paris or even to have been rebuilt in a New York museum. Alas, these leads remained fruitless.

Until the day the municipality of Marciac, which had become the owner of the last vestiges of the monastery, called on the art historian Céline Brugeat. A specialist of the Go

thic cloisters of southwestern France reassembled in the United States, she conducted investigations on both sides of the Atlantic.

 

For registration information,

please contact:  paris@frenchheritagesociety.org

 

French Stones in America

 

 

At its core, The Cloisters combines fragments of four monasteries – Saint-Michel-de-Cuxa on the border of France and Spain, and in France Saint- Guilhem-le-Désert region and Trie-en-Bigorre near Toulouse, and what was thought to be Bonnefont-en-Comminges but was recently identifed by Céline Brugeat as the cloister from the Franciscan monastery at Tarbes, also in the Languedoc-Roussillon region. As work on the structure progressed more frag- ments were added from France to create a space described by the architecture historian Nancy Wu as housing “some of the greatest art objects from the Middle Ages while also miraculously preserving its air of contemplation, its other worldliness, and somehow its very silence.”

 

"Recently, the municipality engaged art historian Céline Brugeat to undertake yet another inves- tigation. The assignment was Brugeat’s area of expertise: her doctoral thesis at the University of Toulouse had been on French cloisters from the south west transplanted to the United States. In May, Brugeat reported to the municipality that she had traced the missing limestone fragments to William Randolph Hearst’s so-called castle near San Simeon, California."

"Quand l'Amérique collectionnait des cloîtres : Trie-sur-Baïse, Bonnefont-en-Comminges et Montréjeau", c'est l'intitulé d'une conférence donnée le samedi 21 novembre, à 15 heures, au musée du Pays vaurais, par Céline Brugeat, docteur en histoire de l'art.

Elle présentera son travail sur les cloîtres gothiques qui furent partiellement ou entièrement démantelés au cours du XIXe siècle, puis reconstruits par de riches collectionneurs aux Etats-Unis. Le titre énigmatique de cette conférence devrait attirer les férus d'histoire et les amateurs d'histoire extraordinaire.

C'est le cas du cloître de Montréjeau. Durant le XIVe siècle, les seigneurs d'Espagne-Montespan (coseigneurs de la bastide Montréjeau) fondèrent le couvent des Augustins dont il ne reste plus rien actuellement.

Abandonné par les moines pendant la Révolution, il fut clandestinement dévasté et pillé. En 1792, il fut question d'y loger les troupes fixées à Montréjeau pour arrêter les Espagnols, et en 1794, une partie du couvent fut érigée en Salpêtrière. Puis il fut laissé pendant plus d'un siècle. En 1924, il aurait été acheté par un magnat de la presse américaine et reconstruit en 1962 pierre par pierre à Nassau, une île des Bahamas. Ce couvent ne dépassait pas un hectare en superficie. Il était cerné par des ravins au nord et à l'est.

Il était constitué d'un cloître, d'une église, d'un jardin et de bâtiments affectés au logement des religieux. Le cloître devait mesurer dans les 80 m de longueur environ.

"La chercheuse Céline Brugeat a remonté la trace du cloitre vendu en 1906. La piste l'a menée en Californie, dans le château du magnat de la presse William R. Hearst, inspirateur de Citizen Kane.

Le scénario est digne des plus grands romans d'histoire. Voilà 80 ans que «l'affaire» du cloître alimentait régulièrement les conversations. Traversant les générations, un souvenir vivace restait de cette galerie sud enlevée au début du siècle et dont certains, jusqu'il n'y a pas si longtemps, avaient par leurs parents ou grands-parents un témoignage direct. On supposait qu'il était parti pour l'Amérique. On aurait pu en rester là, se contenter du seul vestige de l'édifice religieux du XVe, cette trace du côté de la cour de l'ancienne école dans un des piliers du clocher de l'église des Augustins. C'était sans compter sur la persévérance de bon nombre de Marciacais"